Critical Reflection

As the module comes to an end, I have come to realize how much I've learned over the past 13 weeks in terms of communication.

My writing skills alone have been raised to a new level. For instance, prior to this module, I have the tendency to deviate from the point I attempt to curate, often making it obsolete. Over the course of the module, I have much more clarity on what is required and in response, much of what I have written has become more focused and concise. In addition, this module was a great opportunity to expand my vocabulary which would enhance the quality of reports.

In addition, I believe my oral presentation skills have made great leaps. Being outspoken isn't a word I would generally use to describe myself but I feel significantly more confident to share my opinions than at the start of the module. This was made possible with the abundance of opportunities to present, aiding me to achieve the goal I have set at the beginning of the module to become a more confident speaker. This culminated in the final presentation where even though it was far from perfect I felt that I was able to give a generally more coherent speech.

However, this module transcends beyond just speaking and writing. It teaches us to formulate our thoughts in a structured way that doesn't feel rigid. Concepts such as Kolb's experiential style provide us with a methodical approach to a problem by introducing steps that would ultimately lead to the solution. On top of that, the spontaneous nature of certain presentations also challenged me to think on the spot further developing my critical thinking skills which would ultimately be useful for the future. 

In the context of the project work, I genuinely feel that it was an eye-opening experience and emphasizes the importance of teamwork. The lack of freedom to choose who we want to work with exposed me to people with vastly different personalities and opinions. This taught me to be more adaptable when interacting with people to understand their perspectives and enable them to feel heard which builds toward a much friendlier team dynamic. This further pushed the element of teamwork as we were able to delegate tasks much more efficiently.

As with any project, there are many hurdles met. Our topic was generally quite broad in terms of content which led to the difficulty of narrowing it down to the more essential points which could be attributed to the different interpretations. Fortunately, we had a capable leader who was able to regularly make sure that all of us were in the same direction whenever we start to diverge from the main points. Critical thinking was also put into play as we adapted from certain concepts such as the 7Cs thereby adopting a more systematic approach.

The project also made me understand what I am capable of. It brought out the best in me as I found myself to be more open in sharing my ideas and airing my uncertainties. This is in contrast to the past when I'm more of a bystander and would passively just go through the motion. The constant interactions also made me recognize what others had that I lacked such as the ability to be more assertive. This molded me to be a better individual as I gradually adopted certain good habits over time. Going forward, I can potentially see myself adding more value to group discussions and perhaps even leading my groupmates.

I truly appreciate the level of detail that goes into every lesson and the copious amount of feedback received that gave me a better understanding of where I am and where I can improve. I would also like to use this platform to express my gratitude toward Professor Brad as the passion displayed during his lessons creates a welcoming atmosphere and encourages me to always put in my best.

Without a doubt, I am still far from achieving the desired competence in communication but with the module laying the foundation, I am, however, confident that I am better prepared for the future.

Comments

  1. Dear Karim,

    Thank you for this detailed critical reflection. You’ve addressed both areas of the reflection assignment in great depth while focusing on various aspects of the work you did, the skills developed and the achievements gained.

    In addition, you've written with very fine fluency.

    Thank you once again for all your contributions to the class, Karim, and best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts